In part 2 of this blog we explore the types of food that you should be eating and discuss portion sizes.
PROTEIN: Eat protein dense foods with each meal
A healthy eating plan must be high in protein to achieve our body composition, health and performance targets.
Making sure you are eating enough is quite simple:
- A portion of protein is roughly the size of the palm of your hand and weight wise between 20-30g
- Women should aim for one palm size piece of dense protein food
- Men should aim for two palm size pieces of dense protein food
By eating this amount you will not only ensure adequate intake of protein per meal, you will also stimulate your metabolism, improve muscle mass/recovery and reduce your body fat.
Examples of protein dense foods:
- Lean meat - minced beef, chicken, turkey and venison
- Plain fish - mackerel, salmon and other white fish
- Dairy - cottage cheese, Greek yoghurt, cheese
- Beans, peas, legumes, tofu and other vegetarian options
- Protein supplements
- Milk/hemp/pea/whey based protein supplements
- Raw nuts